Dress Me!

We leave for Buenos Aires tomorrow to compete in the World Tango Championships. 400 couples are entered from 25 countries. There are two categories: Stage Tango and Salon Tango. We are proud to represent the USA as 2009 Salon Tango Champions. Over 12,000 tickets have sold out the event!
I'm packing, trying to decide what to wear for the competition. It's winter in Buenos Aires now, so I am trying to get my head wrapped around winter clothes to pack too.

We do not wear costumes when we dance Argentine Tango. We just dress like we're on a date night of sorts. Salon dancing means social dancing, so there are no sexy Dancing With The Stars kind of glitzy dresses cut up to there. There are no jumps of lifts in Salon Tango. It's rather calm and elegant. Judges look for a real connection between the couple, musicality, and following rules that stress moving around the floor in a line of dance, and keeping the feet on the floor (though you can lift your shoe just up to the knee). Certain stage figures are strictly prohibited. Why Salon Tango is so important is that it is the root of everything tango. Stage Tango comes from it. Salon Tango is what drives all dancers, and its beauty is treasured, fostered, and preserved.

#1 - The Milonguera Black and White Dress

Here are four looks I am considering.
#1 is the dress I wore in New York for the win! It represents the woman who dances socially and regularly in the dance halls of Buenos Aires. Those dance halls are called milongas, and the dancers are called milongueros (men), or milongueras (woman). I chose this dress because it is vaguely retro, a nod to the Golden Age of The Tango in the 1940's - 1950's. It was a great contrast to all the sexy dresses the other women wore, and it stood out visually, and I was very comfortable wearing it. The judges got the homage I was paying to the archetypal milonguera (who inspires my dancing). I also feel it's a good luck dress since I already won in it. The white blouse is a classic milonguera look, and the bustier is very now - it laces up the back, so the back interest is nice when dancing backwards. The blue sandal style dance shoes are sexy.

#2 - Sexy black Vivienne Tam dress

Look #2, is a very sexy Vivienne Tam dress. The sheer over dress hugs my body and has a great fishtail detail on the back. I would wear the red satin Chinese print shoes with it. My reservation is that it is another black dress in a sea of black dresses. Black is the favorite color for tango dancers.

#3 - Red with black lace Professional Tango ShowDress

Look #3, is a "professional" dress I had made to wear when we do tango shows. It fits beautifully, and the red color is spectacular, and the little bit of sparkle plays well under lights. The red suede shoes with black lace insets are a perfect match. My reservation is that I don't want to represent myself as a Stage Dancer when I am competing in Salon Tango.


#4 Retro Black and Red Dress

Look #4 - This is a last minute contender. I bought this retro style red and black dress with a peplum dress online, and it's at the tailor. I'll pick it up after work. It's very 1940's and looks great on me. I had it shortened to show my legs. I would wear red shoes.

I'll take all four with me. Alberto wears a jacket, dress trousers, shirt and tie. He looks very handsome. We don't match our outfits as they do in ballroom competitions, though our colors often coordinate.

So dress me! Tell me what your vibe is! We have two to three chances to dance. If we make it through the fist round, we move to the semi finals. If we get through that, we dance in the finals for a win! In New York I wore the same dress (The Milonguera) over two nights of competition (I have two of the same dress). Everyone said my dress really showed well and stood out.

We don't compete until the beginning of next week, so you have plenty of time to please help me!

Mil gracias!
(A million thanks...)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Save Dress Me! on social network: